Thursday, September 11, 2008

When do I lose my Faith?



This morning I was reading Jesus words to Peter in Luke 22:31-32:

Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.

I begin to ask myself a number of questions:

Did Peter's faith fail? It sure seems like it for Peter ends up sinning! He denies the Lord and curses when confronted by the young girl and others while warming himself at the fire! (Matt. 26: 69-75)

If Peter's faith failed then did the prayer of Jesus also fail to protect Peter from the sifting of Satan?

As I pondered these questions another thought came: If the Lord's prayer failed, then there is no hope for mine to be successful! I'm so unrighteous and He is so righteous!

The answer seemed to come as I asked myself more questions. Is faith needed before I fail or after I fail? Or is faith tested while I am tested to obedience and if I fail to obey it is finally tested with receiving of forgiveness?

I began to realize that faith is needed to obey! Peter's lack of faith is seen in his denial as fear for his own life takes over his actions and produces denial. Fear an enemy of Faith!

But the greatest and final failure of an individuals faith is when faith in the mercy and forgiveness of God is not received! That is when sifting or separation from God happens! Not seeking forgiveness neither receiving forgiveness when it is extended to us by God will cause us to be separated from God! This will lead to separation for God for eternity!

The prayer of Jesus did not fail! Peter wept as he thought on his failure (Mark 14:72). He sought forgiveness and believed that he was forgiven! His faith in forgiveness gave him the ability stop the desire of Satan of destroying the relationship that Peter had with the Lord!

Don't let Satan tell you that your sin is final! You've lost your faith! No, the job of faith is not over! It will strengthen and support you to believe in the power of the blood and mercy of Jesus! Only when I lose faith in His forgiveness of my sins will I be separated from my hopes and dreams of being a great man of God!

What was Peter to do when he came back from failure? Strength his brothers! Strength them in their faith! I like this version of this event:

Luke 22:31-32 31“Simon, stay on your toes. Satan has tried his best to separate all of you from me, like chaff from wheat. 32Simon, I’ve prayed for you in particular that you not give in or give out. When you have come through the time of testing, turn to your companions and give them a fresh start.” (The Message)

Give someone a fresh start and teach them about God forgiveness by living it out in front of them! You sinned? It's alright! Seek forgiveness and start again!

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Great post Pastor - very encouraging to those going through the refinement of the fire (1 Peter 1:7).

_jerry

www.inspiredchristian.org